With the holidays just around the corner, it’s safe to say we’re well into baking season – you know… cookies, cakes, all the sweets you can imagine. But if you’re a cannabis connoisseur or simply looking to add a new level of chill to your holiday, it’s time to think about how you’re working CBD into those treats. Luckily, CBD has no psychoactive effects, so friends, family, and loved ones who have never entered the cannabis space might actually get around to trying CBD for the first time. Temperature is Key
When cooking with CBD, monitoring temperature is one of the most important aspects. Although warming up a CBD oil can increase its efficacy by activating the cannabinoids present, it’s easy to overdo it, resulting in the opposite effect. When overheated (typically beyond 200 degrees Fahrenheit), the oil will burn, which results in a loss of terpenes, causing a decrease in efficacy of the product itself. Oftentimes this results in an off-putting taste. Because CBD oil is very sensitive to heat, people often attempt salad dressings and smoothies at the beginning of their CBD cooking journey, but we have some recommendations and products to get your holiday baking off to the right start. CBD cookies, brownies, and cakes are only a few stops away!
MagicalButter DecarBox Thermometer Combo
– Decarboxylation is the technical term for what happens when you activate your cannabis in baking, but it requires specific temperatures and can be tricky to nail. This little device is meant to facilitate the process – it helps to monitor the temperature of your oven without having to open it, meaning you can activate your CBD herb to your desired potency without risk of ruining the product. CBD Always Needs a Carrier
In order for effective absorption, CBD should be paired with a carrier oil. This is helpful when it comes to cooking due to the number of recipes that require oil. Whether olive oil, ghee, vegetable oil or butter.
CBD-infused butter is a great option when baking. Oftentimes, having a pre-infused ingredient can make cooking with cannabis much easier because it has already been activated to your desired potency and reduces the amount of necessary steps. Take a look at some of the products that make CBD-infused butter extremely easy.
Magical Butter Purify Filter 190
– Straining herb from concentrate can be one of the hardest parts about making cannabis infused creations. Luckily, this device is here to make that easier. This filter facilitates incredibly easy and efficient straining to allow you to get your purest extract, free of any sediment from the herb used. Bonus points because it’s dishwasher safe, making it even easier to use without creating a large mess.
MagicalButter Butter Tray
– When making a butter, the final and arguably most important step, is actually molding that product into the butter we know and love today. This butter tray, made from premium quality silicone, is heat resistant and dishwasher safe, so you can easily make up to four sticks of infused butter with little to no hassle. Have the Right Supplies
Infusing CBD into recipes can be tricky, but it’s by no means impossible. There’s a few things you’ll need on hand that will make the process easier. First and foremost, a high quality CBD is a priority when baking. If you have a high quality CBD on hand, congratulations, you’re one step ahead. If not, take a look at some of our selections below. Once you do have a high quality CBD in your possession, be sure you store it properly. CBD is sensitive to heat, but also to light, so make sure to store it in a dark space at room temperature.
MedTerra 500mg / 1000mg CBD Tincture with MCT Oil
– Depending on your personal tolerance to THC, you’ll want to grab either the 500mg or 1000mg. Regardless, this option from MedTerra is fantastic because it’s broad spectrum, meaning you’ll receive a better effect from some of the other cannabinoids present. Because it’s used with MCT oil, you don’t need to worry as much about introducing a carrier oil.
Lovena CBD Tincture
– While MedTerra offers a broad spectrum CBD tincture, this CBD tincture is full spectrum, meaning all other cannabinoids from cannabis are present in some form or another (for clarity --THC is present, but in such an incredibly low dose that in no way will it result in psychoactive effects).
New Era Wellness CBD Relaxation Syrup
– This CBD infused sugar replacement is great for cooking and, particularly, baking with cannabis since it is already infused. Choose from many flavors -- including black currant, coconut, and raspberry. Each makes for a fantastic and flavorful addition to cakes, cookies, frostings and décor.